T-shirt printing has been a common, popular way to advertise companies and products for decades. Printing logos, bands’ names, slogans, and other eye catchers on shirts are a great way to attract attention and get some free advertising. Print a couple of shirts, then hand them out, and anyone who sees the t-shirt hears about your company. To seal the deal, t-shirt printing has the added benefit of being very cost effective compared to other types of advertising.
To develop a successful t-shirt design and printing arrangement, working with a talented graphic artist is extremely important. They are skilled in the practice of creating images that appeal to customers. When choosing a graphic artist to work with, be sure to ask to see a portfolio of past work so you can be sure their experience fits well with your own field. After this step is complete, there are numerous things to keep in mind as you prepare to design, print, and use a t-shirt for advertising purposes, but here are the top five things that should be considered.
1) Create a design that is simple yet eye catching. You want to aim for simplicity for two main reasons. The first reason is that on a t-shift, few people are going to stand around reading the shirt or analyzing the design. You need to communicate your message quickly and efficiently so people can absorb what you want to say in the quick glance they are probably going to have at the actual shirt. If possible communicate the message largely in the graphic with only a few accompanying words such as company or product name or slogan. Avoid forcing people to read to know what you are saying.
The second reason that simplicity is important is that the image will be infinitely easier to print and to see clearly if it is void of too many details. Intricate images tend not to reproduce well and often lead to weak designs. Your graphic designer should be able to help you create an image that accurately reflects your company in the most simple, expressive means possible.
2) Choose colors that attract attention but do not overwhelm the viewers. If the t-shirts are going to be white, it is possible to have a bit more freedom with the colors you pick for the actual design. The colors you choose should compliment each other and stand out. At the same time, using every color in the rainbow can make the design appear too ‘busy’ and people will miss the message you are trying to communicate. If you have one, two, or three colors in your company logo, finding a way to integrate them into the design is great, but do not go overboard and loose the attention of the audience. This is another area where a talented graphics artist will be able to offer personalized guidance to help you select appropriate, eye – catching colors.
3) Research shops where you can have your t-shirts printed. You should be able to find a shop by searching for either dye sublimation fabric printing or fabric printing and dye sublimation. This method of printing t-shirts is extremely efficient and creates excellent images.
During the process, the image is printed on a special material known as transfer paper. The transfer paper is then carefully placed on the fabric and sent through highly pressurized steam rollers. The steam will get so hot that the fabric will start to melt, which allows the ink from the transfer paper to integrate firmly into the fibers and permanently stain the fabric. It is a highly efficient process that will create high quality t-shirts. These printing machines are also capable of printing on other types of fabric if you have other material to print at the same time.
4) Make sure that your image is in high resolution. Since t-shirts do not afford a tremendous amount of print space, especially when compared to a large banner, it is important that the image is as crisp and clear as possible. When you are preparing your design for printing, make sure everything is clean. Check borders between colors, outlines, lettering, and anything else that would be detrimental if it were to emerge from the printing press blurry. A well done image should be able to be clearly seen and understood from several yards away. If you are unsure of the efficiency of the design, ask if you can create a sample t-shirt to test your design.
5) Dispense your t-shirts among locals and any other populations where potential clients can be found. Use your t-shirts as giveaways for fairs and similar activities. Give them away anywhere you can, the way you might give away a business card at professional meetings. T-shirts can make great prizes for contests you organize on social media pages, or as thank you’s for consumer loyalty or participation in a new program. Hand them to employees and ask them to wear them when possible. Few people will say no to a new t-shirt, and as long as they are worn, even if it is to the gym, others will be able to read them and your advertising campaign has been successful.
With the recession, many businesses are looking for ways to advertise more effectively, without driving up the marketing expenses. For years, many businesses have found success with t-shirts. A talented graphics artist can help you create a design that will resonate and speak to your customers and help attract attention to your business. T-shirt printing is an art that has been refined with new technology. The steam press creates a very high quality design and will minimize the risk for smearing or other issues that arose in the past. If you are interested in creating affordable, engaging advertising material, investigate local printing companies and graphic artists to see how you may be able to get your project off the ground.